Sunday, January 18, 2009

The Miracle of Sleep


THE MIRACLE OF SLEEP
In Loving Memory of
Patricia JZH Forman
December 1, 1956 – November 4, 2008

You slept in my arms last night,
And I kissed the top of your head;
I felt on my chest your small sleep smile,
Did you feel me laying beside you in bed?

As I drifted in your soft fresh scent
Your gentle breathing tickled on my chest;
But our hearts beating in compliment to each other,
That is what I think felt the best.

Your hands lay there on my stomach,
And the warmth contrasted with the cool sheet;
I had to smile to myself as I remembered
How earlier I rubbed so much to warm your feet.

The weight of your leg felt so natural
As it pressed heavily down on my thigh:
Finally, I felt again contentment and at peace,
And you moved slightly as I let out a sigh.

But this morning the miracle evaporated from my life,
When I woke and your face I expected to see;
And I knew you watched over me from so far, far away;
I would swear last night was real, yet how could that be?

c. January 11, 2009
Matthew E. Forman
Murfreesboro, TN
Published Collage. Ed. Jaz Gray. Middle Tennessee State University. Spring (April), 2010.

2 comments:

  1. This is an awesome poem...you did well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I appreciate that you are following my posts. I did read your June 9 post... interesting dilemma you face. Won't comment here or on posts...sometimes one cannot be as honest as one would like.

    ReplyDelete